Saturday, January 18, 2014

Scrubby Dub Dub On The Face: Exfoliation Tips

~Before we get into exfoliation, I want to apologize for not being so frequent with my posts. Being a college student can be overwhelming and I'm trying to make time for my blog as much as I can. Hopefully you all understand and I can't wait to share my new posts in the future. :)

Exfoliation is key to a smooth, even-complexioned face. Exfoliation rids your skin of dead skin cells and allows your face to glow and look alive. I personally like to exfoliate around twice a week, sometimes once. Over exfoliating is not a good thing because it can dry out your face and actually promote more acne. Just a gentle, simple exfoliation once/twice a week should do the trick. Depending on your skin type, some people may like to do it two/three times a week. That should be the max though! Don't overdo it. Your skin won't thank you.

There are two different ways to go about exfoliating. You can pick to use a deep exfoliator, which you can buy at the store or make at home, as your weekly exfoliation. For example, I use St. Ives Apricot Scrub as my once-twice a week exfoliator. It's harsh enough to exfoliate my face but not too gentle where it doesn't do anything. Or, you can use a daily cleanser with light exfoliants in it, like Aveeno Skin Brightening scrub that gently exfoliates your face but nothing too harsh. I've used a daily gentle exfoliator, but I would rather use a daily cream cleanser and do a once/twice a week exfoliation with a good scrub. That's just me though... everyones different.

I really like St. Ives Apricot Scrub. This is the only product that I have that contains salicylic acid, but I really like the results. I recommend this scrub for people with acne-prone/oily skin. If you have sensitive skin, I recommend St. Ives Green Tea scrub. It's gentler and has soothing ingredients. If you want to make one at home, then try a brown sugar scrub with some coconut oil. It works wonders. 
*Make sure after you exfoliate that you don't forget to moisturize! Moisturizing hydrates the new layer of skin. 

Scrub scrub,
Daniela

No comments:

Post a Comment