Wednesday, January 15, 2014

What To Look For In A Toner... So Important!

As you all know, toning is a very essential step in the CTM routine (cleanse, tone, moisturize). Toning helps balance your skins complexion, pH levels, and helps clean any remaining oil and makeup your cleanser did not take care of. To me, a toner is SO important! It's so funny because a few days ago, my friend had asked me what a toner was (she saw me using it). I looked at her like, "Excuuuse me?" Most people completely forget about it. 

If you're still not convinced, let me give you an example: I will use a makeup removing wipe to get my eye/face makeup off, then proceed with my Burt's Bees cleanser. Still, after that, my toner takes off leftover makeup and dirt I didn't even know was there. I thought just the makeup wipe and cleanser did the trick, but apparently it's not enough! Sometimes you may think you got everything off, but you didn't. Even for guys! My dad came in my bathroom one night and saw I was toning my face and asked if he could try. He looked at the cotton pad after, saw it was a little dirty, and freaked out. He didn't know it lingered! May sound gross but trust me, everyone has it.

The amazing benefits from toning honestly comes from what toner you use. I've used such harsh toners that it actually did the opposite of balancing my pH levels and complexion. It completely dried out my face, made it burn, and actually gave me more pimples. Some toners left an oil slick on my face that made me want to wash my face again. So, after much experimentation, I've learned that natural toners are the best. (The natural way is always the best)

You can use green tea toners, witch hazel toners, cucumber toners, I could name them all. It all depends on your skin type. A few examples:
-Acne prone/oily skin: Witch hazel, green tea 
-Sensitive/dry: Cucumber, green tea, chamomile, rosewater

My biggest thing is to make sure the toner is ALCOHOL FREE. Alcohol dries out your face and disrupts your skin's pH levels. Alcohol is fun for other occasions, but not for your precious face. My toner that I currently love is by Simple called soothing facial toner. Alcohol-free, all natural, contains no harsh irritants, and has witch hazel and chamomile. Works great for my skin and keeps its nice and smooth. It's a must!! Can I also add that it's affordable? :)
Never, EVER forget to tone! Xo
-Daniela

No comments:

Post a Comment